Why are my marigolds not germinating this year?

Every year I transplant volunteer marigold seedlings around and within my vegetable garden to help control nightshade pests and problems. This year, in spite of an abundance of plants and pollinators last season, I have found only about a dozen marigold seedlings. Borage has also seeded itself from year to year so freely that I have never had to replant it and this year, only two volunteers have appeared. Is some known, larger issue at work here? This is the first time I've ever had insufficient seedlings to border my 20x25' garden.

Anne Arundel County Maryland flowers poor germination abiotic issues marigolds

The ability to reseed varies with cultivars and the severity of the winter. Also, site conditions may have changed such as poor drainage and the seeds may have rotted. It is possible that some seeds may have been eaten.
Lastly, it still may be too cool for them to germinate. Soil temperatures should be around 60 degrees for germination.

Marian