Outdoor Avocado-droopy leaves going brown from centre.

Hi, I live in New Zealand in the north and it is now autumn. I have a 4-year-old avo about 180cm high and planted in a good position for sun, shade and shelter. The leaves have just started drooping and going brown from the centre. I have recently being fertilising with chicken poo. Any ideas ares much appreciated

Outside United States chicken manure avocado plant drooping avocado plant turning brown

Thank you for contacting us about your avocado tree. Can you provide a photo of the tree? It would be helpful to know what kind of avocado it is. Was it from an avocado pit? Also, how long did you let the chicken manure mature before applying it to the plant?

Hello, and thanks for you quick reply. I bought my tree at 4 years old and it’s been fine for 6 months. The chicken poo is straight from the chickens. Hoping it’s not dying.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. Your plant does not seem to have a disease or pest problem which leaves us with possible soil problems. I suspect the chicken manure has burned the plant since it is "fresh".

All manures must be composted a minimum of 6-months before applying to plants. Otherwise, the excess salts prohibit the plant roots from absorbing water. I believe that is why the plant appears to need water. You can try replanting the avocado in fresh soil and water it regularly. There is an outside chance that it might be saved.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. In the future, always make sure manures are fully "ripened"; a year would be advisable.