oregano

The photo shows an oreganum vulgare hirtum ( oregano hot and spicy ) plant that was planted last year. By next year it probably will overgrow the planter. Should I prune it now or wait until next year? In addition, the stems seem to be long and the leaves small. Since the leaves are the part that is eaten, I think that they should be larger. What do I do to get larger leaves?

Charles County Maryland

We can't see your oregano clearly in the photo, but the long stems (and flowers going to seed?), don't look like oregano. The wild growth looks more like chickweed.

Can you send us a photo that is clear and closer to the plant, so we can get a better look at what is going on?

Ellen

I think that you are right. I planted an oregano plant last year but the soil contained compost that was made from grass clippings and leaves and contained weed seeds. The weeds must have chocked out the oregano.

Yes this looks like chickweed, a winter annual. It reproduces by seed. Handpull when the soil is moist.
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/common-chickweed

Marian