Junipers Under Siege

A few minutes ago I submitted a question entitled “Yews Under Siege,” indicating that I would be sending this follow-up question as they may be related to one another. I could not submit both at the same time as there are five pictures and only three can be attached to a question. Sixty feet away from the Yews discussed in the prior question, there is a row of Juniper bushes that extends in a line for approximately 180 feet. These too are exhibiting yellowing and browning along the entire length. I have attached pictures of the line of Junipers and a close-up of an affected branch. I am hoping that you may have suggestions as to the cause of the problems at both locations as well as possible steps to halt the problems exhibited.

Howard County Maryland shrubs junipers abiotic issues dying yews

We received both of your questions, and are duplicating your answer here.

We don't think that the issues with your yews and junipers are related. They generally get different pests and diseases that are specific to their species.

Yews yellowing and dying have been a big issue statewide this year. In almost all cases it is related to the tremendous and historic amounts of rain last year. They can not stand 'wet feet'. Our soils remained saturated for a long time and this can compromise roots and lead to root rot and death of the shrubs. We expect to continue seeing this decline as the season continues.

For your junipers, what percentage of the foliage would you say is affected? We see lots of new, fresh growth and little browning.
What we see in your photos is not terribly concerning. Prune out the dead branches to tidy up.
That said, there are two diseases that can affect juniper, which are outlined on this page: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/juniper-twig-blights-phomopsis-and-kabatina
Our plant pathologist is not in the office at the moment. If you would like we can share your photos with him upon his return.
Let us know if you would like this by replying directly to this question/answer.

Christine