Fruit crop care

I've got a good crop of apricots & plums coming on now, so I'm wondering what your recommendations are for keeping them pest free, especially for internal-feeding insects that lay eggs in the fruit & destroy it? What are the methods or sprays which are effective to keep them pest-free for these, and for all other pests? Is there a fact sheet for either of these crops available?

Howard County Maryland

We are glad you asked. We have all the information you need.

Apricots and plums are considered "stone fruits" (like peaches, cherries and nectarines) can be hard to grow in our area. Apricots in particular are early bloomers and damage from frosts makes it difficult to get a consistent crop. We expect you'd get a crop only one to two times every five years.

Tree fruits in Maryland require a good deal of management, including a carefully timed and repeated spray schedule to control common insect pests and diseases.
For instance, an entire crop of unsprayed plums can drop to the ground early because of plum curculio, which also attacks apricots.
The timing of these protective sprays begins before the trees even bloom in the spring.
Please read through the links within our Stone Fruit page at this link to learn how to best grow your fruit:
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/stone-fruit-peaches-cherries-plums-apricots-nectarines
Let us know if you have any questions.

Christine

I Didn’t see how to control apricot & plum pests, so please explain what’s the target pest, treatments & frequency

This link from the page above covers the insects and diseases of concern, as well as the timing of treatments, starting on page 11.
https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/456/456-018/ENTO-289C.pdf

Christine