SWD overwintering this year?

Hello! A friend recently (early May) gave me a raspberry cane from her patch. She has had problems with SWD in her raspberries. I noticed on the Extension SWD page that it overwinters as an adult and there is some evidence it can survive MN winters. I am trying to decide whether to keep the cane or throw it out because of the risk of an SWD infestation. Is there any more clarity on whether adult SWD can overwinter in cut back raspberry canes in MN (particularly given the polar vortex we experienced this winter)? Thanks so much for your help, Virginia

Hennepin County Minnesota

SWD overwinter in the soil, but it's unclear how many actually survive the winter. Unless they're super special raspberries, maybe air on the side of caution and discard them. That said, if you remove all the soil from the canes before planting in your yard, you will, most likely, be ok.