I have moldy maple syrup. Is it really safe to skim the mold, reheat it and...
Asked May 8, 2019, 8:10 AM EDT
I have moldy maple syrup. Is it really safe to skim the mold, reheat it and eat it.
Holmes County Ohio
When in doubt throw it out is always a good rule to follow with any food product. If you have any mold allergies then defiantly do not do this or if it could be shared with anyone with allergies. However skimming off mold is an old practice that is no longer recommend.
The larger question should be how did it mold. Maple syrup needs to be kept refrigerated after opening. If it is not refrigerated after opening it will mold. If not kept in a sealed container it will mold.