Shade Evergreen Tree

I am in need of a advice for a shade evergreen tree around 25ft height. in my front yard. Could you please suggest? There is good amount of sunlight throughout the day.

Wayne County Michigan landscape design

As you noted, evergreen trees like a large amount of sunlight to thrive. Do you have any particular shape in mind; are you seeking the traditional Christmas tree shape or are you seeking something narrower or bushier? Is there an irrigation system in your front yard? Is your soil sandy, loamy or clay?

Thank you for the additional information.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the response. The tree is for front yard and there is plenty of sun light. I am looking for a shade tree (canopy based). Its a standard soil.

Thanks.

Hi Linda,

Thanks.

Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately, evergreen trees do not provide canopy shading as you requested; their form is generally pyramidal. There are many small to medium options for a deciduous tree that should do well in your location but these trees will not be large enough to provide a very large shade canopy. Several suggestions are: serviceberry (Amelanchier), magnolia (hardy varieties), seven son flower (Heptacodium), redbud (Cercis canadensis), kousa dogwood (Cornus kousa).

For more ideas you may find this tipsheet helpful: http://www.hort.cornell.edu/uhi/outreach/recurbtree/pdfs/07~smalltrees.pdf

Thank You so much for the wealth of info. Can you pass on if there any similar document for evergreens? Appreciate it much.

As I was looking for evergreen primarily for less/no maintenance can you help me which one of these trees

(serviceberry (Amelanchier), magnolia (hardy varieties), seven son flower (Heptacodium), redbud (Cercis canadensis), kousa dogwood (Cornus kousa)

or from the given link:

1. Can be planted near foundation/non-invasive roots.

2. Has small leaves or where I can skip raking.

Thanks.

Greetings again,

MSU has these tip sheets, each on a nice selection for Michigan Shade trees. We don't have an equivalent for conifers, unfortunately.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/home_trees_shrubs/selection