Espalier of Camellias

I have a cyclone fence on the back of my patio that separates my yard from a neighbors. They have an ugly wooden fence on their side and I have a cyclone fence. In an attempt to grow a green wall in this shaded area, I have planted camellias about 5 feet apart. they are about four feet high and fairly sturdy. Hoping to use the espalier method of filling in a hedge, is it best to tie them to the fence, or wind the supple branches through the cyclone fence? Any advice to stimulate growth so that I get the desire effect earlier? What should I feed them?

Multnomah County Oregon camellias

https://internationalcamellia.org/basic-principles-of-growing-camellias
Here is an article about growing camellias that does at the end mention both ties and stakes for support. Personally I use a similar method for that type of support: twisting and bending supple branches through the fence and using soft string ties available at most nurseries for tender young branches. The article mentions feedi g methods as well.