White flies on Boysenberries

I have been raising Boysenberries in my garden for 25 years, and my wife has been making wonderful jelly out of them. But for the last three years, white flies have been getting into them and laying eggs in the berries. When my wife goes to all the trouble to make the jelly, it contains all these white larvae that are wriggling around. She throws the entire batch out. How do I get rid of the white flies?

Washington County Oregon berries

Thank you for your question. Although we cannot positively identify the insect that is infesting your berries, I suspect, based upon their availability, you have spotted wing drosophila, described in this OSU management handbook: https://pnwhandbooks.org/insect/emerging-pest-spotted-wing-drosophila-berry-stone-fruit-pest

I'd suggest investing in a trap so you know what you have, and going from there. If you find you have a different insect, please take a photo and either send it back in a subsequent question, or visit the Washington County Extension office. I hope this is helpful. Good luck!