Gardening - jasmine disease

Hello- I have a large jasmine vine that climbs a trellis on the chimney of my SE Portland bungalow (south facing). The vine has always been vigorous with profuse leaves and blooms and no issues - until this year. This spring I noticed a problem which has continued to spread. The leaves will start to wither on a given branch, starting at the end, and eventually (rather rapidly) dry up and die all the way back. I have noticed some red leaves with spots which may or may not be the start of the problem on a particular branch. I have cut out all of the dead branches in hopes of containing the problem. Otherwise the plant seems very healthy, with lots of new growth. I would appreciate any insight as to what is happening and what can be done about it.

Multnomah County Oregon

Your jasmine certainly appears it has done very well, better than many I’ve seen.

The scattered character of the damage could be from mechanical disturbance, such as an animal clambering through/among the stems (possibly a cat or squirrels?). Or perhaps a human weeding among the crowded stems, or a kid looking for his ball.

A similar thought is an animal chewing at the base. One client finally caught a vole in the act. (A mouse trap took care of the problem.)

Even though jasmine is marginally adapted to our climate, this does not look like cold damage.

I assume the vine is planted in the ground. If not, a rootbound condition can lead to decline.

Frankly, I’m puzzled as to the current damage. It looks like we’ll need to rely on you as the on-site detective looking for the culprit(s).