hen prolapse

I have a young hen 7-8 months old. I did not discover her prolapse until I had found 2 blood-streaked eggs. I washed her and applied Preparation-H. I have been keeping her in a completely dark room for 21 hours per day. In spite of this she is still laying an egg every 2 days. When I let her out to run around she seems to be in good spirits but the prolapse is still visible. I wash he with warm water every time before I put her back into the dark room. What can I do to get her to stop laying eggs to allow the prolapse to heal.

Casey County Kentucky poultry

Putting her in a dark room is the first start. Are you still feeding layer mash? Is so, discontinue doing so. If necessary feed her only cracked corn for a few days then switch to a pulley grower feed. That should do the trick.

Hello Dr. Jacob:

Thank you for your quick response!
Actually I have been feeding her cracked corn, chick starter and hard-boiled egg, thinking that she would need protein to heal. Was this the wrong thing to give to her? And what is pulley grower feed? And what is layer mash? I have been feeding all my chickens Burkmann 20 % (protein) layer ration pellets and cracked corn. It also has 3.5 % calcium and other additives in small amounts. The chickens seem to prefer the cracked corn. I also give them lots of chickweed, which is growing everywhere at this time. Should she get less protein rather than more? Thank you!

Hello Dr. Jacob:

Thank you for your quick response!

Sorry for the typo, it should have been pulley feed. Layer mash is just any layer feed, mash, pellet or crumbles. If you want her to stop laying, just give her the cracked corn for a few days. When she is back to laying, stop feeding any cracked corn. You are causing a nutrient deficiency diluting a complete feed with cracked corn. Are your chickens overweight. That is a common problem with feeding cracked corn and can cause prolapse problems.

Hello Dr. Jacob:
I googled "pulley feed" and still do not know what you mean by that. Pulley feed is something mechanical and nothing to do with chickens. My hens are not overweight; they free-range and get plenty of exercise.
So do I understand you correctly in that I should give her only cracked corn, thereby cutting the protein out of her diet?
Thank you for your help!

Anneliese

My auto correct is driving me nuts. Pullet feed. A pullet is an immature female chicken.

The idea is to get her to stop laying. You have reduced the number of hours of light per day, which is the first step. Give her only cracked corn for a few days till she stops laying, then switch to a pullet feed.