How much longer for Mayflies??

Hi. I'm a relatively patient person, and I know Mayflies (aka midges, right?) are a short-lived occurrence, but here (Sherwood Forest) by the Severn River, we've been experiencing them for a couple of weeks.... I think. But, they've gotten much worse over the past week, and I keep hoping that means they're peaking and will be gone soon. How much longer do we have to co-exist? Thanks!

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Mayflies are a different order of insects than midges. We think you are referring to midges. These insects decline in numbers within a few weeks after they first appear.

Marian

Thanks. I'd read a couple of articles online that said Midges and Mayflies were/are the same bug.

Glad to hear an expert say, definitively, that they aren't.

I tried to get a picture of them massed on my screens or windows, but they just don't show up.

However, this one posed for me after I jumped into my car this morning.
==> Midge?

I'm getting very tired of them, and hope that their "time" is up soon. Glad they're harmless!

Thanks again,
Marty

Good shot!
Our entomologist has identified this as a midge.

Chris