Are used coffee grounds good for indoor gardening?

I'm trying to figure out a low maintenance system for indoor gardening. I live on a second floor, where the balcony has unprotected stairs and join to the next unit. The neighborhood kids run up and down the stairs after school. Starting an outdoor garden would be pointless, theres not much I can do about the kids playing outside. I'm trying to garden inside, but I need help getting it going. I work in a kitchen and am trying to reduce plastic waste a little by repurposing used plastic containers instead of throwing them away. I have a decent range of container sizes from 5 gallon buckets, 2ft x 3ft x 1ft bins, to empty bulk spice containers. I am interested in an indoor compost that I can make that doesn't attract pests. I work in a scratch kitchen, so I have a wide variety of vegetable scraps/eggshells/coffee grounds waste/cardboard I can recycle instead of trashing. Is there a compost i could make indoors without it smelling terrible or attracting pests?

Brevard County Florida composting

Thank you for your question. You are a ‘natural’ for worm composting! It does not smell, does not attract insects, and is a great way to use coffee grounds (and filters). Here is a useful article: http://www.soiltest.uconn.edu/documents/vermicompostingfactsheet6-14.pdf I keep a worm bin in my spare bathroom, but I also have a wooden one that doubles as a side table! You’ll have to separate the worms from their castings every 2-3 months or so, but you might invite the kids to help. When I take my bin into schools, the students are intrigued! Good luck!