Tree Disease

I and my 2 neighbors have the same large trees (30 ft.) that are dying. Only a few branches at the top have leaves. They were alive last fall so it must be a tree disease.. I can send a photo if you want but it will only show the tree bark. It seems that this is occurring in other parts of Howard County. Can someone look at them and what do you suggest ? Guess it is to late to save them ?

Howard County Maryland abiotic issues trees

It would be helpful to see photos at least of the bark and any leaves you can reach so we know what type of trees are affected. Were the trees in a poorly drained area/saturated soil during last year's rainy weather? Was there any construction work done in the area of the affected trees? Do you see any physical damage to the trunks? We do not make site visits but we would be happy to take a look at photos and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Christa

Answer to your question > 3 separate trees are involved, therefore it must be a local / county disease. NONE of the factors you mentioned are present or I would have said something. again I can get no leaves

Part 2, If this is a country wide issue, shouldn't Howard County put out some kind of notice or FYI to alert the people. And put forth some kind of action plan ?

This looks like ash tree bark. All ash trees in the U.S. are threatened by the emerald ash borer, an insect which arrived here several years ago and has received extensive publicity. Unless treated, all will die. Here is the info on our website that you need: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/emerald-ash-borer-eab

You can scroll down for many links, one of which helps you identify an ash.

Keep in mind that dead ash trees become brittle and dangerous to remove very quickly. Removal can become more expensive. We recommend that you remove them before they are entirely dead when possible.k

Ellen