Curious Little Black Things

Dear Sir or Madame: I live in Jefferson, Frederick County, Maryland. For the past year or so I have been discovering little (like 1/8 to 1/4 inch) black elongated pellets amidst items in the closets, under furniture and other, similar, places and mostly on the second floor of my house. They look like mouse droppings, but it is inconceivable that there could be a mouse in our living quarters without us or our Yorkie noticing it. The Yorkie notices everything. So, as a preliminary inquiry --- before I go through the trouble of taking pictures and/or samples --- could they be something else besides mouse droppings? Thank you for your time and attention.

Frederick County Maryland wildlife mice pest - other

It would be very unusual if you or your pet did see the mice.

Look at images of mouse droppings on-line. There is no other rodent that would leave droppings in a house of that size and shape.

Here is our page on mice: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/mice
Try putting out some traps and see what you catch!

Ellen

Dear Ellen:
Thank you for your prompt response. I will relay its contents to my husband and we will take the matter under advisement/try to figure out what to do.
Thanks again.
Joyce