Rat in the backyard

A rat scampered across my yard this morning! Yikes! I would like to know how to get rid of the rat(s). I do feed birds and will stop and clean up all litter. Does seeing one rat mean there is more? Any advice is appreciated. I really don't want rats in my yard.

Ramsey County Minnesota rodents rodent

I would first confirm that it was a rat - there are lots of similar looking animals in Minnesota and some of those animals have a protected status with the DNR (I'll include a link below).

I would recommend making your yard less appealing to them - which would be removing food sources. Make sure your garbage bins are secured, if you have a compost bin consider putting a lid or check for holes. Clean up the litter around your bird feeders - I don't think you need to get rid of them though. I don't think that seeing one is cause for drastic measures yet, it's possible that it was just passing through.

Do not place pesticides outdoors - it is illegal in Minnesota to do so. You can use live traps though.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/mice_voles_rats.html