Vole Tree Damage

Hello - As you can see in the attached pictures after the snowmelt this year we discovered Voles had eaten the bark from the base of the tree next to our driveway. I am not sure as to the kind of tree as we did not plant but it does flower in the spring. My question is whether or not there is any action we can/should take to increase the odds of survival of the tree. Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Carver County Minnesota

From your photo it appears that the bark is girdled (chewed) all the way around the trunk. If this is the case the tree will decline and over time will die. Girdling limits the nutrients that are available to the tree and makes it more vulnerable to insects and disease. If the girdling is not around the full trunk the tree is still vulnerable but can perhaps maintain enough nutrients to continue growing. There is not much that can be done to control the outcome.