Hops Mothball

I currently grow Centennial hops in Leelanau County , Mi. My yields for the last two years have not been good. The processer of the hops indicates he cannot sell them because of a glut in the market. My thought is to mothball the field for a year in hopes the market will improve. If not I will Roundup the field next year. Would you have a suggestions as to the process/procedure to mothball a field for a year. The current suggestion is fence the field and introduce sheep who will graze on the hops plants, weeds and grass keeping them under control..

Leelanau County Michigan hops

Hi there
That sounds like it may work. The crucial thing will be to keep disease out of the yard. If there are enough sheep and you get them in early enough, it could work well.

Rob

Rob,

I have a quantity of hops remaining from 2017. Is there a shelf life for hops? If they are stored and sold in 2019/2020 is the quality still acceptable or will they have started to deteriorate?

Hi,

It really depends on how they have been stored. If they were n-flushed and vacuum packed with no oxygen and stored in a freezer then they will likely be totally fine. If they are stored in a refrigerator, then maybe not. If they were not in cold storage or were not N flushed, then they probably wont be good any more. I would send a sample off for testing. HSI will be the most important thing to look at. If it is over ~0.35 then you may have a hard time selling them.