A. uva-ursi brown and dead looking in April

Hi! I am working on updating my yard with natives to participate in the backyard habitat program, and I got a bunch of native plants in the fall to put in. I didn’t manage to get the A. uva-URSI into the ground until this month, and now as I am working on planting it, about a third of the plants are totally brown and dead looking. The remainder either are green and flowering or have a mix of green and brown leaves. Should I expect the brown ones to come back and proceed with planting them, or is it most likely dead? Thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon horticulture

Thank you for your question. The problem you are having is why perennial plants should be planted in the fall. Whether the brown ones will revive depends on whether there is still viable tissue, which can’t be assessed through the Internet. If they’re dead, they’re dead. Why not plant them somewhere inconspicuous and see? Good luck with the backyard habitat status!