Sick dieffenbachia

I have had this plant for 35 years. I have topped it when it rubs the ceiling and rooted it in water to restart. I have given many plants away doing this. This winter, however, it appears to be in very poor health. The leaves are small and every week I pull 3 or 4 dead ones off. I haven't changed how I care for this plant and I think the time I've been caring for it shows I've been doing something correct. Help!

Wayne County Michigan houseplants dieffenbachia

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

I too have such a memory dieffenbachia! I've had it for almost 40 years and it is still doing fine. I'm afraid your question doesn't give me enough information to help you. I will ask you some questions.
Is the plant the original plant that you have just taken cuttings off of?
Have you repotted the plant?
Have you moved the plant to another location?
Is it possible you are overwatering?
A photo would be helpful. If I had to guess I'd say your plant is tired so to speak. I keep my dieffenbachia thriving by cutting off the tops and rooting them. I then pot them up and toss the base plant.

I hope I've been able to give you some ideas. Contact me again if you have more information.