Poultry production and sales

Asked April 14, 2019, 2:45 PM EDT

I grow broilers, currently for personal use. I want to expand and begin to sell broilers to people at farmer's markets and elsewhere within the state. I do not want to process my own birds. Last year, I hired and took my birds to a Mennonite processor, who did an excellent job at a very reasonable price. May I sell birds processed there, or do I need to go to a USDA inspected facility?

Bay County Michigan

1 Response

To sell the processed poultry, the birds need to be harvested at either a Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) licensed facility or a USDA inspected facility. You can contact MDARD at 1-800-292-3939 to obtain a list of licensed poultry processors.