Can you identify this undesirable grass?

I've done my own lawn maintenance for 30 years and this spring I suddenly see large patches of this stuff everywhere. I don't think it's crabgrass. I'm hoping I can control it without resorting to something like Roundup.

New Castle County Delaware lawns and turf grass weed control lawn care lawn management weed identification lawn

I am having difficulty identifying the variety of grass from the photograph. Also, it would be helpful to know if this just arrived in your lawn or has it been around for a while. It would be most helpful if you could bring a sample, roots and all to the extension office at 461 Wyoming Rd in Newark. In that way we can give you a positive ID. Unfortunately, there are very few specific selective grass controls and you may have to revert to grass a product with glyphosate. Another option is if we can determine it is a winter grass a preemergent in the fall may solve the problem.