Berry row layout NS or EW?

I am planting new raspberry starts as soon as we get the soil put in place. I have room to run the rows east to west or north to south. My mother law suggested I run them north-south so all the plants got the same sun. I though east-west was best because...well, I just thought that was the standard ideal. Will you please advise me to which layout ideal is supreme for Southern Oregon zoned 8a? Thanks!

Jackson County Oregon raspberries horticulture

We're not sure there is an answer that "fits all circumstances". Take a look at where the sun is at different times of day in YOUR garden, The preference for north-south orientation for a vegetable garden is based on the idea that the mid-day sun will benefit all rows equally. The morning eastern sun will benefit the right-most row and the left-most row will suffer a bit from hot western sun. (Having some shade potential on the western side of the garden alleviates this concern). In a mixed vegetable garden, taller plants can be placed at the northern-most end of the rows and not shade out the others. The difficulty with an east-west orientation is that the very hot western sun in the afternoon tends to blast down the rows. Southern sun on an east-west orientation will also hit the first row more than the others and the first row tends to shade the others. Both of these scenarios are based on plantings on level ground in an open space. Obviously, if you have a sloped garden space, the orientation must take into account differing heights of the rows and how water will perform when applied. Most slopes are contoured so rows are level, running at right angles to the slope. And, if you have a garden on the north side of the house, your best choice might be east-west orientation. Bottom line, know where the sun is at different times of the day and base your orientation on what seems the best for the plants.