Large ground Yellowjacket nest.

In October of 2018 I moved into my new home in the city of East Lansing, MI. In the back yard, left by the previous owner, was a very large pile of wood chips. I decided to keep it for mulch. However, about 6 weeks later I noticed it was crawling with activity. Upon inspection I found it riddled with tiny openings and dozens and dozens of medium size Yellowjackets were making their way inside. I have no idea how large or how deep this nest goes, or how to remove it safely. I have included two pictures so that you are able to get an idea how large the wood chip pile is. I run an Academic Studio out of my home, which means I have children of all ages playing in my yard, so I need the environment to be safe for them. How do I remove this pile of wood chips, get rid of the nest, and keep myself safe while doing so?

Ingham County Michigan insect issues insect management yellow jackets

Removing the wood chips now should not be a problem. Yellowjackets do not reuse their nests nor do they spend the winter in them.

Regards,
Howard