Pine Beetles in home shrubs

I am just a home owner that has a multi planting pine shrub planting. I have noticed that it has started getting yellow pine needles and moving down the five planting line. The first plant that showed the yellowing has moved to a full die off. I have found a pattern of boring and sap drips on the branches. See attached photo. My home is in Harrisburg, Mostly grass fields minimal pine trees close by. Is there a way to save them? Alan Collison

Linn County Oregon insect issues

Hi;

That is an odd pattern, but really does not tell me enough to be able to tell you anything. Do you know what kind of pine is it? What are the shrubs, and are they healthy. Are they in the back 40 and on their own, or are they part of your irrigated landscape?

Probably best would be some more pictures. Something that shows the whole planting, as well as contrasts between the sick/dying and the healthier trees.

Thanks.

They are just part of the yard on the border. They came with the house so I dont know the real specific info.

I cut out the dead one on the end as it was the only 1 showing the actual boaring.

The one picture with the yellowing is of the removed plant.

Thanks

HI, I'm just following up on this question that was passed on from the OSU Forestry Extension faculty.

A couple of follow up questions:
Are you noticing similar boring holes in the other shrubs or was it limited to the plant that was removed?
You mentioned inheriting the shrubs with the house-how long has that been?
Also, are the shrubs irrigated in the summer?
The middle photo shows some trunks/crowns of removed plants-what were those?

Thanks for using Ask An Expert!

The shrubs are about 25 years old.

The planting is on the edge of the irrigated yard and receive some additional direct watering in the summer.

Yes the middle picture shows the removed plant and all of the planting appears to be the same variety.

I have not seen any additional boring in the remaining shrubs. What activity I did find in the removed shrub was three diffrent branches. About 12inches in length and 1.5 to2 inch diameter.

Sorry for the delayed response. It could be that an insect was attracted to the shrubs because the shrubs were showing signs of stress (we have had a few years of very hot summers which have stressed many conifers in the landscape). Since we don't know exactly which insect made the holes, I would recommend keeping an eye on the plants as well as giving them good TLC. Make sure the shrubs getting adequate water during the dry months and take care if applying any herbicides and or weed & feed products in the vicinity.
Check on the plants regularly and keep an eye out for unusual damage or insects. If you do find something, please bring a sample in the OSU Extension Linn County office. Once we can make a positive identification, then we can give more specific recommendations.
You can find our office address and other contact information here: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/mg/linn-benton/have-gardening-question

Take care and thanks for using Ask An Expert!