My family has a large pond in Butler County Ohio. The pond is in bad shape...

My family has a large pond in Butler County Ohio. The pond is in bad shape and is declining year after year. We know the pain needs dredged or redug. However until that happens we would like to try our hand at raising a school of tilapia for our families personal needs. Do you have any information that would help us determine the variety of tilapia to use in our area and where we could locate good quality tilapia fry in bulk? Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

Douglas County Nebraska pond management fish

Almost universally, the tilapia applied to Ohio ponds are so-called "blue tilapia." You'll get the greatest benefit from tilapia stockings if you commit to harvesting as many as possible as they become more lethargic with oncoming autumn.

Several Ohio hatcheries provide tilapia for pond stocking. To begin, I took the liberty of executing this very basic Google search for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+tilapia+ohio. Let me know if you have any questions regarding specific vendors listed.

And let me know if additional questions arise.

Best,
Eugene