A landscaper swears by driving a copper nail into the stump of large amur...

A landscaper swears by driving a copper nail into the stump of large amur honeysuckle bushes to kill the roots. I'm having trouble finding reliable information to verify or debunk this. Is this an effective alternative to herbicide?

Hamilton County Ohio

I also have not found many articles that verify using copper nails is an effective way to kill honeysuckle.

The best and most effective ways to get rid of this invasive species is to cut it back to about 6"-1' off the ground, and apply a herbicide to the trunks either by painting it on or drilling holes in the trunks and spraying herbicides in the holes. This will assure the shrubs will not re-sprout. Depending on the size of the shrub you can also dig it out and get as much of the roots as possible. Once you know they larger shrubs are dead you can dig them out the following year.

You may want to use gloves when you do this, so as not to get any herbicide on your skin. Also be careful only to spray or paint the herbicide on the tops of the shrub trunks, and not get on other plants.

Herbicides that work include: Glyphosate ( Round up, or Touchdown) or Triclopyr ( Remedy Ultra, or Pasture Guard)

I hope this helps.