Mold in my dead beehive

Asked April 9, 2019, 3:37 PM EDT

My bees did not survive that bitter cold in December. When I oopoened the hive to collect the honey, I find moisture and a thin coating of pale mold over the capped honey. Is the honey still edible? Do I need to do anything special to harvest it? Pretty devestating, all around!

Eaton County Michigan beehives

1 Response

In my experiences with mold on the honey comb, I gently washed it of, making sure all the mold was removed and then extracted the honey. But I cannot guarantee your honey will or will not be affected by the mold.