Sick Baby Chicken

Hello, my baby chicken has a yellow / white hard muck covering his rear end. He has trouble standing and is wobbly while standing. When I came home he was laying on his side, but he was asleep. I have 10 more baby chicks in his flock, and I want him to go back because there are 2 chicks who love him and don't want to leave his sight and I think it's heartbreaking that I have to move him because I am afraid it might be contagious. I need help on how to get rid of this yellow / white muck on his rear end and how to make him better. Thank you.

Matanuska-Susitna Borough Alaska poultry

The 'muck' could be an infection of the yolk sac which is taken into the body cavity of the chicks right before they hatch. If the navel of the chicks gets infected, you can see the material in the abdominal area. This may appear to be near the vent where the manure is coming out.
If the 'muck' is around the actual vent, it could be an intestinal infection.
For either of the two cases, you can try a broad spectrum antibiotic. It is difficult to get antibiotics for chickens because of the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD), so you will have to see what antibiotics you have available at your feed store or can purchase online.