Grass Seeding

Last autumn I had to dig up a section (4' x 4') of lawn to repair a sprinkler hose that was squished by tree roots and prevented water from passing through to the sprinkler heads. I would like to sow GRASS SEED in this section to replace what I had to dig up. My question: Is this a good time to sow grass SEED in this area or should I wait a little longer?
Thank You
Chris Jimroglou

Douglas County Colorado

Hi, thanks for your question.

Spring is a good time to reseed a lawn before the temperatures get too hot. Just make sure you keep pets and foot traffic off and don't mow until the new grass is 3" high.

• Seed cool-season grasses (bluegrass, ryegrass, fescues) anytime from March through September. Along the Front Range and Western Slope the optimal time is mid-August to mid-September.
  • Cool-season grasses can be seeded in the spring, as soon as temperatures begin to warm.
  • Seed warm-season grasses (buffalograss, blue grama) April through July. Seeding after July is not recommended.
The link below is for a CSU Fact Sheet on Renovating the Home Lawn. It details how to seed a lawn successfully.

https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/renovating-the-home-lawn-7-241/