White film

We have a supporting column in our home made from a tree that was cut down several years ago. There is a white crust forming on part of it. I’m not sure if it’s something I should be concerned about? Thank you for your assistance!

Oregon

Hello. The image quality is pretty good here, however I'm not able to identify the source of this white film. Can you remove a piece of it? It is possible that it's a fungi, though there would have to be a source of moisture for the fungi to survive. Is the wood still relatively wet? This could also be dried resin - if you scrape some off and smell it, does it have a sweet smell, or perhaps like turpentine?

It might be worth calling in a pest control company or perhaps a home inspector so that they could positively identify the material and tell you if there's cause for concern.

Scott