Why is my River Birch roots seeping out water and foam?

Last year, I contacted you all about my River Birch leaking water (quite a bit) after some roots were cut around a pipe. This spring, no roots were cut (although a branch was cut and leaked water). Now I am seeing this seepage in the ground around the roots with foam that insects are drawn to. Enclosing a picture. Is this because of all the rain we had this past year? Or is the tree exhibiting distress? Thank you.

Anne Arundel County Maryland slime flux trees

It could be related to both the damage last year as well as the incredible amount of rain. This is normally a wet time of year, but we are currently also about 10 inches above normal precipitation. Water is being transported through the tree at a high volume. We expect you may see it lessen as the tree leafs out.

You may also be dealing with what is called slime flux. Here is more information about that:
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/slime-flux-and-wetwood

Chris

Thank you.