rust on shad bush

About 5 years ago I noticed a cedar rust gall on a small cedar. We removed it for other reasons, but I think the rust spread to our shad bushes. Its become worse, I've tried removing infected fruit, etc, but have decided to try a spray if there is one you can recommend.

Montgomery County Maryland disease issues shrubs rust native cedar quince rust cedar hawthorne rust shad bush rust shadbush rust shadbush

Both cedar quince rust and cedar hawthorne rust will infect shadbush. The disease alternates between shadbush (and these other plants) and cedars. It is virtually impossible to eliminate cedars from a large enough area to make that a practical solution (1-2 miles), though it helps reduce infection to remove cedars nearby.

Here is an extension page on rust disease: https://extension.psu.edu/cedar-apple-and-related-rusts-on-ornamentals

Rust infection varies from year to year and most homeowners just enjoy the berries during dryer years.