Hairy Bittercress

Please let me know the best way to control this weed - there are a few sections of my lawn that have large numbers of this weed right now. Is it sufficient to cut off the flowers to prevent reseeding, or should I spray them with a chemical. Can I use household full strength vinegar or is there a stronger form of acetic acid I can use? Is that any better than Roundup - I'd prefer not to use chemicals but haven't found anything as effective so far. ARRRG

Montgomery County Maryland

Hairy Bittercress is very shallow rooted and if you don't have a ton, hand pulling is a good option.
Cutting it short doesn't usually work because they can grow additional flower stems. Actually thin turf or cutting your grass too short tends to predispose you to more weeds.
A well-timed pre-emergent in the fall is the chemical treatment that is most helpful (for the following year.)
Here is our page with more detail:
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/hairy-bittercress

Chris