Indole-3-butyric acid

Hello, I have a huge cottonwood tree on my property and the seeds cause a big issue with my pool as well as coating my other plants and my garden causing them not to grow. I found the product snipper microinjection plant growth regulator (indole-3-butyric acid) and am wondering if this product is a good, safe option to at least decrease the amount of cotton that falls in my yard. Or if there is another product?

Anoka County Minnesota plant growth regulators cottonwood trees cottonwood seeds

Thank you for the question. Cottonwood trees are beautiful but many people don't appreciate the seeds. There is no proven way of controlling or eliminating them.

I'm not familiar with plant growth regulators, so after some preliminary research, I contacted Gary Johnson, University of Minnesota Extension Professor of urban and community forestry. He found no product that reduced cottonwood seed viability that was research based. He advised that the product you mentioned was probably safe to use in the landscape as long as the label was exactly followed. Whether the product is effective, we don't know.

Thank you for contacting Extension.