laying water

I know we have had a lot of rain and because of this I have water just laying in my backyard. I used to have grass there but it is now just mud. I was wondering if a load of top soil and then seeding would help. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you.

Baltimore County Maryland standing water abiotic issues lawn and turf

Standing water kills grass, which is not tolerant of wet soils. Yes, adding enough top soil to fill a depression in the lawn and grading so that water flows over the area and does not stop there, will definitely take care of the problem there.

However, think carefully when you grade about where you want to direct that water. Keep the grade very gradual. You do not want a steep grade. In dry times, you do want rain to soak in, so you want rain to run off slowly.

Search 'stormwater' and 'stormwater management' on our website.

Early fall is the best time to seed lawns. If you have to overseed again later, do that in the fall.