Bug bites

At the end of March last year I received 4 bites on and behind my ears that caused severe itching, oozing, inflammation, and swollen lymph nodes - I coincidentally had an ultrasound of my neck the day following the bites. There was no pain with the actual bite but I heard buzzing around my ears and I think I smashed one of the critters but it was unrecognizable as you can see in the image of the dark matter behind my ear. This year the same thing is happening. I have gotten about a half dozen bites. All but one on my neck under my hair. I sometimes hear buzzing but never feel the bite and nothing ever tries to land on my face. My husband says there are initially two tiny punctures at the site. Again the bites are causing the same symptoms with the sites being highly inflamed and enlarging to two to three inches in diameter and the itch is intense. Any idea what is biting me?

Polk County Oregon

We are unable to make a determination without a sample of the insect to attempt identification. No See Ums could be a possibility - Here is an article with a sample of their bite, and that it is very hard to see them. https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=10473