creating a new butterfly/pollinator garden

Asked March 29, 2019, 10:36 AM EDT

I have been playing with different plants and plant locations for my butterfly garden. I am using raised beds. It will make placing plants in the correct soil and sunlight easier.

We are removing a dying pine and now can go "more" professional with the garden layout. HELP! I do not know where to start. Would like someone to visit my garden and help me design and plan the planting arrangements/soil type/ sun&shade ratio.....

I am done pretending to be a gardener and need it to look awesome. Thanks, Susan from Winona, MN

Winona County Minnesota landscape design horticulture

Unfortunately, Master Gardeners don't do house visits and consultation. But there are plenty of landscape designers out there that would be happy to help you. Of course, they are not free.

You could start with your local garden center, which might have a landscaper on staff. Their fee might be reduced if you buy plants through the garden center.

For a more DIY approach, our Extension Service has some good landscape design web pages for you to browse through. It also gives you some advice on finding a landscaper:
https://extension.umn.edu/lawns-and-landscapes/landscape-design