unable to aerate

My back yard is 8 steps down the side of the house (walk-out basement level). No company can, or will, go down those stairs to aerate my back yard. Last year, Mile Hi used "liquid aeration". I think they were really just selling me a notion, not a result.

The soil is mostly clay. Do you have any recommendations on how I can help my lawn revive and thrive. Between the hard soil and the fungus, my yard looks pretty sorry. It's getting tired.

Arapahoe County Colorado

Hello there,

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. As you suspect, there is no scientific evidence that any chemical application can replace actual core aeration. http://planttalk.colostate.edu/topics/lawns/1545-liquid-lawn-aeration/

The article above mentions "coreless aerification," which might be a solution. You would have to call around to see if any business does that. I suspect, as mentioned in the article, that is would be very expensive, however.

It might be time to re-landscape and get rid of the turf and plant some perennials.

Sorry I could not be of more help.