Removing grass from a small back yard

My small back yard grass suffers from lack of sunshine because of large trees. I want to do away with the grass and then apply bark to the area. Is there a product that will kill the grass? I have read of troubles with Roundup. What other product is safe and affordable? Thanks.

Lane County Oregon weed issues mulch organic gardening

You really don't need to purposely kill the grass. What I would do is put down 3-5 layers of cardboard, wetting it thoroughly for each layer and overlapping the edges. Once that is down, I would spread 2"-4" of wood chips (you can usually get these for free by signing up through getchipdrop.com) It has a different aesthetic than bark mulch, but if using the latter, you will want the same approximate thickness. The cardboard will allow water to seep through, but it will provide a light barrier that will prevent the grass and other weeks to grow.