grass seed question

Need to over-seed my lawn. Have lots of dead spots now where crabgrass grows and I would love to get rid of the crab grass. Have tried pre-emergents and still had the crabgrass. Thought this year i would try seeding again. For a long time, have had interest in buffalo grass. Like the idea of slow growth and drought resistance. Would like to know if buffalo grass is a good idea or if there is other grass i should try to crowd out crabgrass and have slow growth and need little water? I saw a Pennington grass mix, like Smart Fescue, that might be a choice. And can I get away with broadcasting the seed or do I need a power seeder or that sort of machine to do it? Thanks

Jefferson County Kentucky

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.