Slaughter facility requirements for rabbit

Hello, and thanks for answering my question. I am producing rabbit meat for personal use right now, and would like to expand to sell limited amounts to customers. USDA-inspected slaughter facilities are costly and require a long drive. It is my understanding that I can sell to customers who come directly to my farm without licensing, but need an ODA inspected slaughter facility in order to sell at farmer's markets or other off-farm sites. 1) Is that correct? 2) Where can I find guidelines on what the minimum ODA requirements are? 3) If processed in an ODA-approved facility, would I be able to sell my products to middlemen, such as a farmer's market meat seller? Or would that require USDA inspection? Thank you so much. I'm just getting started, and I want to make sure that everything is by the book. -Danny

Clackamas County Oregon small meat processors small farms

Hello Danny-

I would recommend calling ODA directly to get accurate regulatory information. Our organization can advise, but we cannot give you a legal decision.

I would suggest Will Fargo at ODA, he handles many of the meat licensing questions and cottage food specialist. His phone number is 503-437-7092 and his email is wfargo@oda.state.or.us

My understanding is Oregon regulated rabbits similarly to exempt poultry. Here is a guide that we produced several years ago that may help you understand requirements for on-farm processing (please note that this guide is currently being updated, so this one is a little out of date):