GF High Altitude Bread Baking

Asked March 25, 2019, 9:47 AM EDT

Do you have any information on baking GF great at 6500 ft? I see your links for quick breads, etc, but not yeast breads.

Douglas County Colorado high altitude food preparation

For gluten free baking, I first try the recipe without any adjustments. Take notes while you bake. Issues may arise (pun intended) with the leavening agent. Because the air is thinner, baked goods tend to rise rapidly without building the necessary structure to hold it, often deflating or caving-in once removed from the oven. One teaspoon of baking powder at 5,000 feet yields 20% more volume than at sea level! If your product collapses, try reducing the baking powder by 1/4 teaspoon for each teaspoon called in the recipe if cooking above 6,000 and below 8,000. I will also often increase the baking temperature in the beginning by 25 degrees, to try and create a more robust structure early on, and then bring it back down to make sure it doesn't get too dark.
Also it tends to be drier here. So your product might come out drier or more crumbly. You can increase the liquid, use extra large eggs, or decrease the gluten free flour by 1 tablespoon per cup of GF flour.
For yeast breads, you might want to decrease the yeast and give it more time for the first rise. Salt also inhibits rise which allows the bread to form a stronger structure.
Let me know if that helps or if you need any additional tips. Here are some recipes for GF at elevation http://farmtotable.colostate.edu/prepare-gluten-free.php#.XKdziZhKiUk.