planting a wisteria

Asked March 25, 2019, 7:22 AM EDT

We had a fantastic wisteria for over 20 years and last year nothing happened and it died. Cannot find a reason but there is a good frame attached to the house and ran for over 40 feets. Can we plant another wisteria or is there something else that would grow quickly, use the dead wisteria to climb up?

Outside United States wisteria

Thank you for your question. You do not indicate your whereabouts, and I don't know what problems are common for this type of plant in your area. Without knowing why the prior plant died, it is difficult to predict the success of another plant in its place, since the old one may have died from some type of soil disease, or an insect infestation. With a plant that old, there is probably an extensive root system, which will limit space for any new plant's roots. I'm afraid the best I can do is refer you to this Extension article from our state system, with information about this plant and its care: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/wisteria-care-get-out-your-clippers-twice-year-go-town

Again, without knowing where you are, or the reason(s) for the wisteria's death, recommending another plant would just be guessing. Good luck!