Crab grass

Crab grass has taken over my yard. In the past, I planted grass in bare spots covered the area with burlap and watered thoroughly. For a time the area looked nice, however, crab grass eventually took over. I was thinking about renting a sod slitter taking up the old grass and putting down sod. I would appreciate any suggestions for an alternative. Thanks!

Campbell County Kentucky crabgrass campbell county kentucky horticulture

Crab grass is an annual weed that germinates in late spring and dies in fall after producing seeds. The best opportunity for crab grass control in home lawns in your area is before April 15. Applying a pre-emergence herbicide at this time will prevent germination of crab grass but will not harm existing perennial grasses like bluegrass and fescue. This publication provides more information: https://knox.ca.uky.edu/files/weed_control_for_home_lawns.pdf Active ingredients to look for in herbicides are listed at the top of page 2. Common trade names for these herbicides are given in Appendix A.