Prune Young Cherry & Apple?

1. For pruning are young apple or cherry tree, this site suggest pruning any branch smaller than the diameter of the trunk. However, the trunk tapers from bottom to top, as all trees do. From How high on the trunk do I measure the diameter? 2. All the branches on this young Apple tree droop downwards. I can’t cut them all!

Hennepin County Minnesota fruit trees apple trees pruning fruit trees cherry trees

Thank you for the question. Like you, I'm not sure what is meant by "prune any branch smaller than the trunk diameter", so I've found another resource from Colorado Extension that is more clear. Read the paragraph on training a new fruit tree: https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/training-and-pruning-fruit-trees-7-003/
I can't tell much about the branches of the apple tree from the photo. It looks like many of the branches are horizontal to the trunk which is a good thing. If you think that the branches are all "weeping", is it possible that you have a weeping crab apple variety?
Here are a few more links to provide more pruning information. It can seem tricky but with practice, you'll get the hang of it. Remember the basics: Remove dead, broken, crossed, vertical or downward facing branches (unless of weeping variety).