Holes

Asked March 21, 2019, 8:39 AM EDT

Hello my name is joe so I got a few plants a few days ago they looked fine but then these holes started appearing not they are on all 36 of my houseplants I went to Bachman’s and got a ZZ plant and quarantined it and two days later these little hole were on it as well idk what to do

Hennepin County Minnesota houseplants horticulture

What's eating your plant is probably a caterpillar of some kind. It's impossible to say without seeing the insect or any other signs of his presence: body shells, frass, adults or larval stage individuals, etc. Look closely at every part of the plant- down in the crevices where the leaf joins the stem, etc. Here's a good source of information in general about keeping your houseplants pest free. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/houseplant-insect-control/ Note that none of the controls are for caterpillars or beetles. One natural control for caterpillars that can be used if you see them on your plant is Bt. Bt is Bacillus thuringiensis and it is a natural derived product that is widely used. IF you see caterpillars, or their eggs laid by the adult of the species, you can handclean them off of the plant with a soapy cloth.

Remember to choose ANY control based on the need to control a Specific pest. If the pest is not present, at the time of your application, it will not be effective. Also, if you decide to apply any kind of chemical treatment, do so out doors.