Shortly after moving to our new townhouse this tree started making a constant...

Asked March 19, 2019, 10:07 AM EDT

Shortly after moving to our new townhouse this tree started making a constant mess. I hate to cut it out but the almost daily sweeping and cleaning up is to much for us. It drops 100s of berries a day even throughout the winter. This is what they look like now. Is there anything that can be done?

New Castle County Delaware

Short of picking the fruit before it falls or just leaving it to decay, I am afraid that your only recourse is to remove the tree. For year-round interest without the fruit fall, you might consider a Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum). Fragrant flowers in July, scarlet, maroon or plum colored foliage in the fall. 25ft-30ft tall. 15ft-20ft spread.

So you don’t think this is due to illness of the tree or something like that? Our neighbors have what I think is a similar tree but it does not do this.

Do you see lesions in the bark of the truck? Have you also observed a lot of leaf drop in late summer? Crapapples are subject to canker and fungal disease that can be pretty devastating and impossible to remediate. It appears from your first photo that you are seeing bud break now. Is that correct?