Vegetable seedlings

Asked March 18, 2019, 6:30 AM EDT

Please see attached picture. I am concerned that my greens seedlings have stems too tall. Ive been told to plant tomatoes up to the first set of true leaves for root development. Would/should I do the same thing for greens. I don’t see any tiny hairs on the greens stems. In the pic left to right are broccoli rabe, romaine lettuce, swiss chard. Thanks for your help.

Sussex County Delaware gardening vegetables seedlings when to plant vegetable gardening

Unlike tomato plants which will root along the stem and can actually be planted with the lower leaves buried, the plants you have started can not be. They should be planted with a soil line just above the root system. Planting them too deep could result in the stems rotting.

Tony

Do you think they are tall to grow upright properly?

The broccoli rabe and Romain lettuce look ok. The Swiss Chard looks a little spindly and might grow along the ground and then turn upward. Won't look like the garden catalogues but will be eatable. It looks like you have them under a grow light. If so keep the lights on and the plants close to the lights to strengthen the stems. Swiss Chard does well from seed in the garden so you can do another planting as soon as the frost days are over. This would be in early May.

Tony

Tony

Thx for the great advice. Please look at this other picture. It is cherokee purple tomatoes. Why are the bending/curling? Will they be ok? Also, I have marigold seedlings that are doing great, can I start to acclimate them now to go outside? Thanks again for your help!

Joan

To add to my last message. I said to put the plants close to the light but am sure you understand to not put them right at the lights.

Now for your new questions. Your marigolds, which look great, are warm weather plants and their biggest enemy is frost. Putting them out during the warm part of warm days is ok but they must come in at night. They can't be planted out for 3 or 4 weeks so you don't need to be in a hurry to acclimate them.

I am not sure what the problem with the tomato plants is. The soil looks dry and if so that may explain why the one especially is leaning over badly. Also they all seem to be leaning in different directions which usually means they are chasing light from different directions which would be unusual under grow lights. Try watering carefully, keep them moist and keep them directly under the lights, assuming they are under grow lights. If you can water from the bottom by sitting them in a tray that will keep the water from pushing them down. Is it possible that they get light from the room that they try to follow when the grow lights are off?

I hope this helps.

Tony